Sparke Helmore City Triathlon
Standard/Olympic Distance Triathlon21 Feb 2021
Distance:Complete one or more legs of a: 1500m swim, 35km cycle, 10km run.
Price:Early Bird Individual from $150, Relay Teams from $195 (plus processing fee)
A medium distance triathlon for serious triathletes or those who have trained for the event. Relay teams welcome. This event has a cycle leg that climbs King Edward park 5 times, which is less than previous years. The course is tough, but very exciting.
Who's it for?
Competitors 15+ years of age who can complete a medium distance triathlon. You can chose to complete all 3 legs OR form a relay team and complete 1 or 2 legs each. Relay team members can be 14 yo.
The Newcastle City Triathlon is one of the largest Triathlons in NSW with 3 separate races on offer. Whether you are a serious, regular, novice or relay team member there is a category for you.
Triathlon Australia Membership
Non Members of the National Triathlon Association, must pay an additional fee. This additional fee will give competitors a One Day Membership to Triathlon Australia. This One Day Membership covers a limited amount of public liability and personal injury claims. For more information on membership to Triathlon Australia visit www.triathlon.org.au.
Triathlon Start Times and Race limits
Each event (ie. Olympic Distance including Relays and Sprint Distance including Relays Teams) will start separately. The second race starts will not begin until most bikes have returned to the bike course from the previous race. The estimated start times are:
- 6.45am - Olympic Distance and Relay Teams: This event will be capped at 250 entries including teams.
Triathlon Entry Categories and Age Groups
Individuals who wish to be acknowledged as representing a business, club or association must complete that section of the entry form. A mixed team must consist of both males and females.
Age categories will be determined in years as at 31 December 2018.
Individual Olympic Distance Triathlon
All individual categories are male and female.
Age Groups are from 15-19, then 20-24, 25-29 etc in 5 year groups until 70+ years.
Specific relay team categories are below male, female and mixed
The Newcastle CityTriathlon is run under the rules of Triathlon Australia. For information about these rules please visit Triathlon Australia on www.triathlon.org.au or contact the Event Director, Paul Humphreys at firstname.lastname@example.org. This is a non drafting race which means that participants must not form packs in the cycle leg and should remain at least 7 metres behind the front wheel of the bike in front (except when passing).
The individual or team with the fastest aggregate time in each category is declared the winner for that category. In each category, prizes will be awarded to those who come in 1st, 2nd, or 3rd place. There are also overall winners for each event. Overall winners are then not eligible for their age category prizes. There will also be random prize draws during the presentation.
Your safety during the race is of paramount importance. Participants are advised to prepare adequately for the event
- You should drink plenty of water before and during the event and apply sunscreen before the race
- Marshals will be placed on the course to direct and assist you, however it is your responsibility to familiarise yourself with the course. Please note while the cycle course is closed to traffic, normal road rules do apply to this event
- First Aid will be available at the race compound
- During the swim leg, you may rest on a buoy but you must not move forward. If in trouble, raise your hand for assistance. All swims are from Queens Wharf inside the Harbour
- During the cycle leg approved helmets must be working properly. When cornering, please consider your speed and other participants. Special care to be taken at the new raised areas along Shortland Esplanade. We do not recommend aerobars for this event due to the technical cycle course
- Drink plenty of water whilst riding or running. On the run you should wear a hat and use the drink station to re-hydrate
- If you are having physical difficulties, please advise a marshal
Please note this is not the time you enter the event.
Race registration is where you confirm to officials you will be racing and then you will collect all official race numbers and kit required to race.
Race registration and race kit collection will take place at the race compound at Queens Wharf, off Wharf Rd, Newcastle on:
- Saturday 22 Feb from 10.00am - 4.00pm, Note: we are not allowing bikes into the compound until SUNDAY MORNING.
- Sunday 23 Feb from 5.30am - 9.30am.
Please note: You must be registered at least 45 minutes prior to your race start. Note parking is limited and you may need to walk 1-2km to the event compound.
At Registration you will be required to produce some form of photo I.D. (drivers licence and T.A. licence, etc. Your E ticket is not sufficient).
One team member can pick up the race kits for the whole team.
Once you have been identified you will be issued with your race kit containing:
- Swim cap which must be worn by the swimmer.
- Race bib number.
- Bike security stickers.
- Electronic timing band (Note: a fee of $50.00 per timing band will be charged if these are not returned after the race).
- Your souvenir event shirt (if entered by 9 Feb)
If you arrive after the start of the Triathlon, care should be taken when crossing any part of the course and you will only be able to cross at the designated crossing areas around Queens Wharf when instructed by marshals.
Only participants will be permitted to enter the transition area on race day.