Sparke Helmore City Triathlon
Sprint Distance Triathlon24 Feb 2019
Distance:750m swim - 21km cycle - 5km run
Price:Individual from $95, Relay Teams from $170 (plus processing fee)
A short distance Triathlon for those who have trained for the event or relay participants looking for a solid leg kit out.
Who's it for?
Individuals or Relay Team.
Start times and Race Limits
Each event will start separately. The second race starts will not begin until most bikes have returned to the bike course from the previous race. The estimated start times are:
- 8.45am - Sprint Distance and Relay Teams:
- This event will be capped at 350 entries including teams.
Categories and Age Groups
Individuals who wish to be acknowledged as representing a business, club or association must complete that section of the entry form.
A mixed team must consist of both males and females.
Age categories will be determined in years as at 31 December 2018.
INDIVIDUAL sprint DISTANCE TRIATHLON
All individual categories are male and female.
Age Groups are from 14-19, then 20-24, 25-29 etc in 5 year groups until 70+ years.
Specific relay team categories are below male, female and mixed
The Newcastle CityTriathlon is run under the rules of Triathlon Australia. For information about these rules please visit Triathlon Australia on www.triathlon.org.au or contact the Event Director, Paul Humphreys at [email protected]. This is a non drafting race which means that participants must not form packs in the cycle leg and should remain at least 7 metres behind the front wheel of the bike in front (except when passing).
The individual or team with the fastest aggregate time in each category is declared the winner for that category. Prizes will be awarded to the 1st, 2nd and 3rd place getters in each category. There are also overall winners for each event. Overall winners are then not eligible for their age category prizes. There will also be random prize draws during the presentation.
Your safety during the race is of paramount importance. Participants are advised to prepare adequately for the event.
- You should drink plenty of water before and during the event and apply sunscreen before the race
- Marshals will be placed on the course to direct and assist you, however it is your responsibility to familiarise yourself with the course. Please note while the cycle course is closed to traffic, normal road rules do apply to this event.
- First Aid will be available at the race compound
- During the swim leg, you may rest on a buoy but you must not move forward. If in trouble, raise your hand for assistance. All swims are inside Newcastle Harbour.
- During the cycle leg approved helmets must be working properly. When cornering, please consider your speed and other participants. Special care to be taken at the new raised areas along Shortland Esplanade. We do not recommend aerobars for this event due to the technical cycle course.
- Drink plenty of water whilst riding or running. On the run you should wear a hat and use the drink station to re-hydrate.
- If you are having physical difficulties, please advise a marshal.
Please note this is not the time you enter the event.
Race registration is where you confirm to officials you will be racing and then you will collect all official race numbers and kit required to race.
Race registration and race kit collection will take place at the race compound at Queens Wharf, off Wharf Rd, Newcastle on:
- Saturday 23 Feb from 10.00am - 4.00pm, Note: we are not allowing bikes into the compound until SUNDAY MORNING.
- Sunday 24 Feb from 5.30am - 9.30am.
Please note: You must be registered at least 45 minutes prior to your race start. Note parking is limited and you may need to walk 1-2km to the event compound.
At registration you will be required to produce some form of photo I.D. (drivers licence and T.A. licence, etc. Your E ticket is not sufficient).
One team member can pick up the race kits for the whole team.
Once you have been identified you will be issued with your race kit containing:
- Swim cap which must be worn by the swimmer.
- Race bib number.
- Bike security stickers.
- Electronic timing band (Note: a fee of $50.00 per timing band will be charged if these are not returned after the race).
- Your souvenir event shirt (if entered by 10 Feb)
If you arrive after the start of the Triathlon, care should be taken when crossing any part of the course and you will only be able to cross at the designated crossing areas around Queens Wharf when instructed by marshals.
Only participants will be permitted to enter the transition area on race day.